Saturday, July 6, 2013

Belgian Style Dress

 A couple of weeks ago I shared my Belgian style dress over at StraightGrain for the Kids' Clothes Belgian Style series

 My inspiration was a dress designed by Inge van den Broeck. I was so drawn to the rich colors and unique color combination.


 Just in case you'd like to create a similar dress I thought I'd share the details about it:
Pattern: Oliver + S Fairytale Dress
Fabrics: bodice (and bodice lining) in copper satin, skirt in navy blue Kona cotton, bow tied belt in tomato red 100% organic cotton sateen.
Modifications: sleeveless, collarless, the width of the skirt is 44 inches (which is the entire width of the fabric) and not the 52.5 inches that is called for in the pattern (so the skirt is not as full), instead of gathering the skirt I inserted 4 pleats in the front and 4 in the back (each pleat was about 1-1.25 inches deep). I also added the details of topstitching around the neckline and armholes. I added thread belt loops following this tutorial, these belt loops really help in keeping the belt in place. To make the .5 inch width belt, start by cutting 2 inches by 56 inches of fabric. Fold in half lengthwise and press. Open folded fabric, then fold the fabric's edges in toward the center crease and press. Fold in half and press again. At the 2 ends tuck in .5 inch and topstitch all around.




Happy sewing!