Friday, May 11, 2012

vintage sewing machines

 Do you know about the Vintage May series that's going on this month? It's being hosted by skirt as top & Craftiness is not Optional.

skirt as top just had this wonderful post about modern patterns, vintage style.
And Craftiness in not Optional just posted some lovely eye candy of vintage notions.

Be sure to check them out & look out for my guest blog post on skirt as top coming up really soon :)

So with all of this vintage fabulousness going on, it has inspired me to blog about everything vintage sewing related. And so I start today with my vintage sewing machine collection...

A couple of years ago my mother passed away & I was the fortunate recipient of all of her sewing machines, let me introduce you to them, in chronological order:

Vintage Sewing Machine #1

Singer class Model # 127
Registration # G 3954211
Quantity made: 10,000
Made: March 9, 1915
Factory name: Elizabethport in Elizabeth, NJ
(Information found here)
With original sewing cabinet, the sewing machine tucks down into the cabinet for storage.

Wow, this one is really old ~ almost 100 years !!!  It was bought used (in the 70s/80s?) as a decoration that my mom kept at the end of the stairs, in the basement. I don't know if it works, I've never tried sewing with it. It currently serves as an end table in our living room.

 *****

Vintage Sewing Machine #2

Singer 301
Made: 1952
With original sewing cabinet (the sewing machine tucks down into the cabinet for storage) & stool, instructions manual (I love the graphics from back then) & parts ! 

This was was bought used (in the 90s?) that my mom used as a decoration in the basement. It looks like it's in really good shape. Again I don't know if it works, I've never tried sewing with it. It currently serves as an end table in our living room. I heard that back in 1956 a Singer 301 cost $383 !!!  That sounds like a lot of money for 1956, but I also understand that women in the 50s sewed the vast majority of the clothes for her family & that Singer 301 sewing machines lasted forever. So it wasn't a hobby, but an investment for the entire family.





 *****

Vintage Sewing Machine #3

Automatic Zig-Zag International 205 DeLuxe
Made: I'm guessing late 50s/early 60s ???
With original sewing cabinet, the sewing machine tucks down into the cabinet for storage.

I have very little information about this one. I don't even know the brand name, there is no instructions manual, & all of my online searches have ended with nothing. I don't know if my mom bought this one new or used. What I do remember is that my mom sewed with this one a lot. As you can see, it's seen better days, it's been loved a lot (used a lot). I remember using this sewing machine growing up & back then it was old.

 *****

Vintage Sewing Machine #4

Singer Touch and Sew Model 756
Deluxe Zig-Zag Sewing Machine
serial no. AS 618484
Made: 1970
(Information found here)
With original instructions manual & box !

I believe my mom got this sewing machine brand new (but didn't get the sewing cabinet) because it's still in the original box. I remember sewing with this one growing up, I even borrowed it from my mom in the late 90s/early 2000s to use from time to time until 2003 when I got my own & current brand new modern sewing machine.


Thanks mom !
And Happy Mother's Day !

Do you have any vintage sewing machines? Would love to hear....